Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Change of Pace, More Calories?

Last night my wife, the smartest person I know made it clear to me that she believes I am not consuming enough calories and may be doing long term harm to my body. During studies for her new career she's read three textbooks on human physiology and has a sound understanding of how the body metabolizes food and the negative consequences of robbing the body of required nutrients.

Time to take pause.

I may not be the smartest guy in the room but even I now some of the consequences of  denying the body its required nutrients. This is why I include plenty of protein daily, don't count fat and get carbs through vegetables with some bread. In addition I take a decent regimen of vitamins and supplements.

Since I began the diet change I've consumed an average of 1,250 calories per day. A very low calorie diet or VLCD is defined as below 800 calories a day and while WebMD signs off on such diets for extremely obese persons other resources on the web point to potentially dire consequences that include cardiovascular danger, namely heart arrhythmia's and gastrointestinal disorders.

1,250 is not a VLCD, closer to a LCD or low calorie diet. What I may move to is more of a rotational calorie intake plan. I will study on those programs and report back on my findings.  For now I will bump up my calorie intake to 1,500 calories spread over 6 meals a day.

Jillian Michaels has this to say about daily caloric intake:

As for cutting your calories below your recommended allowance, remember this golden rule: Never allow your daily calorie allowance to fall below 1,200 if you are a woman and 1,500 if you are a man. Falling below these daily allowances can do real damage to your metabolism and result in excessive loss of lean muscle tissue. When you dramatically reduce your calories on a consistent basis, it can slow your metabolism or trigger a plateau. Consistent exercise — plus the occasional high-calorie day — will help ward off a plateau.

5:00 Protein shake 150 calories.
8:30 Breakfast Burrito 350 calories.
11:15 Leftover soup Turkey Meatball and Vegetable Soup from the other day, 175 calories. I added some Parmesan cheese and sprinkled some goat feta cheese over it that added 50 calories to the dish.

*After lunch I am at under 700 calories for the day. I'm full after that smaller lunch. Reaching 1,500 calories by the end of the day will take some doing. We may dine out tonight so that could fill any gaps. We'll see.
2:30 Plain bean burrito with only beans, salsa and flour tortilla, 300 calories.
3:30 Protein shake 150 calories. (subtotal 1150)
6:00 Veggie sandwich w/ portobello mushrooms, belle pepper, and greens on a multi grain bread at California Pizza Kitchen. I ate half of the advertised 600 calorie sandwich entree + a cup of tortilla soup at 200 calories. 500 calories total.
8:30 Other half of sandwich from dinner 300 calories.

1,950 calories consumed today - 200 in my workout for a hefty 1,750 calories today!

This was a good day despite eating well over my daily average of the past 2 weeks. I shook up my metabolism and I'm learning that this is not a bad thing every few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment